We've been intrigued, grossed out, and talking nonstop about Lissa Price's disturbing new dystopian read, Starters! Lissa joined us on Monday ready and raring to go! She dove right into our questions and has been chatting it up ever since!
Here's what we've learned about Lissa so far:
- Lissa was inspired for the premise of Starters during the flu vaccine shortage a few years ago; with the very old and very young being prioritized to get the vaccine first, what would have happened if everyone else died?
- Lissa would love to meet Shakespeare for a day
- Lissa is passionate about frozen yogurt - at least, when it's warm out
- Lissa celebrated when she found out she was going to be published by calling her husband to meet her at a restaurant where she had champagne waiting for them
- Lissa's favorite genre to read is dystopian
- Lissa keeps physical files - and files on her computer - of intriguing story ideas and possibilities to look into later
- Lissa loves television show The Walking Dead
- Lissa read a lot of Stephen King and Dean Koontz as a teenager
- Lissa chose California as the setting for Starters cause she's familiar with the area
- Neil Gaiman is one of Lissa's favorite authors
- Lissa plans a lot - charts, image boards, outlines, cards - all of it
- If she were in Callie's situation, Lissa would rent out her body
- Lissa has no siblings
- If she could rent out someone else's body, Lissa would like to see what it'd be like to be Angelina Jolie
- While The Hunger Games and Uglies influenced Lissa, she was also influenced by Inception and Memento
- As a night owl, Lissa gets her best writing done at 3am
- Lissa prefers Harry Potter over Twilight
- The word "water" appears frequently in Starters
- 1984 was Lissa's first dystopian read
- Lissa likes Earl Grey Decaf tea
- The last two chapters of Starters were Lissa's favorite parts
- If Starters were a pastry, it'd be brownie – a rectangle, but with white cake with flat silver cream cheese frosting on the outside, but with a blue chip pattern. Then, when you bite into it, there is a chocolate ganache inside with a thin layer of cherry jam, maybe with a tiny kick from something unexpected!
That's just a little bit of what we've learned about Lissa! To see the rest of her responses, be sure to check out the rest of her forum! Starters has BuzzGirl creeped out so much that she's written a blog post about it, so be sure to chime in!
If you missed this week's chat with Lissa, don't fret! Next week, we've got R.J. Palacio visiting to talk about her new book, Wonder! Be sure to watch the book trailer and stop by her forum and post a question as we'll be giving away copies!