Author Beth Ann Bauman has been visiting with us this week to talk about her new book, Jersey Angel! Beth's been answering your questions about writing about the Jersey Shore, wild childs, promiscuous characters, and more on her board!
Here's what we've learned about Beth:
- Beth started writing Jersey Angel in 2008, but did most of the writing in 2009-2011
- Beth "pantsed" when writing Jersey Angel, at least during the beginning stages
- Beth likes drinking jasmine green tea in the morning with a side of dark chocolate
- Beth loves fancy paper clips
- Beth chose to write about a more promiscuous "other woman" type of character because she was a more unlikely heroine
- Beth used to be shy cheerleader!
- As a writer, Angel's character was more interesting to explore because she's not as predictable
- Growing up, Beth spent all her summers on the Jersey Shore
- While not like Angel, Beth said that she's been in a few sticky situations
- Beth's favorite season is Spring
- As a reader, Beth is drawn to more adventurous characters
- For a Jersey Angel soundtrack, Beth recommends listening to Duffy. She also listened to a lot of "Mustang Sally" as well as "Fever" and "Mercy."
- In response to reader criticisms of Jersey Angel, Beth gets annoyed by reviews who say that Angel isn't a good role model since setting good examples is not the role of fiction because fiction shows how the world is not how it should be.
- If Beth could travel back in time, she'd visit the Jurassic Period
- When Beth was a kid, she wanted to change her name to Bethany
- Beth started writing Jersey Angel before the Jersey Shore show came about
That's just a little bit of what we learned about Beth! To read the rest of her responses about the best summers, growing up in Jersey, writer's block and more, visit her board! If you've been hearing the buzz about Jersey Angel and want to see for yourself, read the Jersey Angel chapter sampler here!
Missed Beth's visit this week? Don't fret! Next week author Anne Greenwood Brown is visiting to talk about her new book Lies Beneath! We're giving away 15 copies so stop by her board and chat with her here!