He'll be with us all next week to chat about his new book, I Will Save You. Head on over to his forum now and post a question for Matt! In the meantime, here's a letter he wrote to all of you. Enjoy!
Dear Random Buzzer People!
I’m excited to hang with folks here on Random Buzzers for a week to discuss the following topics: my new novel I WILL SAVE YOU, love, relationship problems, depression, sadness, or anything else that comes up. As an author, I don’t get too many chances to talk directly with readers so this is way cool for me. Thanks for letting me get into the mix!
Here are a few possible topics of convo:
- Maybe you’ve read one of my previous books (BALL DON’T LIE, MEXICAN WHITEBOY, WE WERE HERE). Feel free to ask a question about any of those characters. My books tend to focus on kids living on the “wrong side of the tracks.” Often they are trying to figure out how to like themselves in a world/system that doesn’t seem to care. I write about these kids because I believe their lives are beautiful, too. Even when they’re messing up!
- Or maybe you want to know more about my new book, I WILL SAVE YOU. This was a really tough book to write because it deals with a severely depressed 17-year-old. Have any of you ever been depressed? What do you do to get through the days? How do you try and find happy? In I WILL SAVE YOU, you’ll see my main character, Kidd, who has been through a major family tragedy, trying really hard to move on. In all honestly, this book breaks my heart, but it also means the world to me. I would love to know if anybody out there can identify.
- Or maybe you have a more general question about sadness. Know what’s strange to me? Almost everybody I know tries desperately to avoid feelings of sadness. But sadness is natural. To truly know light, you must also know dark. It’s that whole “yin and yang” thing, right? Personally I think sadness can be beautiful. That’s why I love sad books and sad movies. That’s why I listen to sad music all the time, even when I write. I quote Elliott Smith at the start of I WILL SAVE YOU, and he writes the saddest songs ever!
- Or maybe you’d like to hear about my unique path to becoming an author. I was a total reluctant reader in high school, a mediocre student. Now I teach creative writing at NYU. I can tell you a little about how that happened. And I know some of you are aspiring writers. We can talk a little craft if you’d like.
- And I would be honored if you took the time to read I WILL SAVE YOU. Because then I could answer questions about Kidd. And what has happened to him. And the strange method he’s developed to try and cope. If anybody reads the book while I’m hanging out on Random Buzzers this week, I will owe you a big ol’ hug. Unless you’re a dude. If you’re a dude I’ll just give you a friendly head nod.
- If you don’t have any questions at all, that’s fine, too. Just stop by and say hi. We can say hi to each other. That works, too.
So let’s make it happen. I’ll officially be hanging out with you guys starting September 27th. In the meantime, if you want to learn more about me or my books you can visit my website: mattdelapena.com. Check the events page. I may even be travelling to your area this year!